I spent a good while thinking LocWorld (and indeed other translation industry events) were not for Lingo24. Naively, some might even say arrogantly, I thought our business was different from the types of buyers and sellers of translation technology and services who attended LocWorld. We were, after all, a dot com for the translation industry – a disruptor no less!
One of the main developments for us at Lingo24 over the last couple of years has been our consultancy offering, which we call LocStrat, or Localisation Strategy Assessment.
It sounds very technical and challenging – and it is – but it has real human and business benefits.
Our meta story begins where Lingo24 all began, the silver city of Aberdeen. The paper Andrew Campbell and I and grew up with, the Press and Journal, highlights the personal roots of two of our top team in the city.
There are so many good things associated with global content and translation in terms of enabling global businesses and people in communicating more effectively with their colleagues. But doing it at scale is challenging and it causes a lot of pains.
Quite brazen, I know. But also good: if you introduce to Lingo24 a prospective customer for our tech-enabled translation services, you’ll receive a £100 (or foreign currency equivalent) Amazon voucher when their spend surpasses £500. And your friend will automatically get 10% off their first project with us (up to £200).
When I set up Lingo24 in 2001, I really had no idea. No idea about translation. No idea about Translation Memory. No idea about Machine Translation, and the opportunities that particular tsunami would bring. It has been a rollercoaster ride. And over the last sixteen years, I’ve learnt a fair amount about our industry, too.…
The UK has led the way for a while now in terms of per capita spending online. Last year Brits spent an average of £1,174 each, making 21.2 purchases and spending an average of £55.36 on each one. This was the highest per capita spend in the world but with global sales hitting £1.18 trillion…
When it comes to translation buying, cost per word can often be a deciding factor between suppliers. While for a short-term solution being able to negotiate a cheaper price could result in a small cost saving, companies looking to maximise profitability from their international operations are increasingly adopting a more strategic approach.
When you’re spending thousands – or even millions – of pounds on translation and localisation services, how can you calculate whether you’re not just receiving value for money, but the right service for maximising profitability?
Since you’re here reading our blog, it’s safe to assume that you’ve got an interest in communicating with organisations or consumers in foreign language markets. Maybe you’re thinking of getting outside of the 25 percent of the internet that uses English online and making some new customers and contacts in the other 75 percent of…