We’ll be saying a sad goodbye to our chief Machine Translation guru, Professor Andy Way, who’ll be leaving Lingo24 at the end of the year.
Andy was on sabbatical from Dublin City University and had always intended to return there, but this happened earlier than expected due to changes in personnel there.
He’s done some fantastic work over the last year, building our world-leading Machine Translation (MT) team, developing our unique software and representing the company at leading conferences and events.
Now he’s handing on the baton to Dr Sergio Penkale and Dr Rejwanul Haque, who’ll continue to develop our machine translation capability. And we’ll be strengthening the team further in 2014.
During 2013, Andy and the team have:
- built and integrated into Coach, Lingo24’s translation and editing platform, over 100 industry-specific engines
- built new functionality into Coach, including automatic subject detection, automatic bilingual terminology creation and confidence estimation
- created Lingo24’s MT API, used by clients to access our engines on demand
- educated Lingo-ists and our customers about how MT should, and should not, be used
- represented Lingo24 at industry and academic conferences and contributed towards improved links between academia, language professionals, and translation buyers
2014 is set to be another exciting year for Lingo24’s MT team. Some of their main goals include:
- launching Premium MT – more than 100 industry-specific engines will be offered to customers on a pay-as-you-go basis, as well as being used internally in Lingo24.
- collaboration with university experts to improve Coach and Lingo24’s MT engines further, introducing new tasks to translation workflows and broaden its supply chain
- introduce ‘Intelligent Sampling’ to give greater confidence in quality levels at a controlled cost,
- continued presence at research and industry-facing events
- recruitment of new MT specialists
Andy said: “I wish everyone in Lingo24 the best for the future. There are some good MT prospects just around the corner with large multinational companies, and with Sergio and Rejwanul committed to Lingo24, this area remains in very capable hands. Their roles may change slightly, but neither Lingo-ists nor our clients should see any major differences in how MT is resourced in the company.
“There are exciting times ahead for Lingo24, as Coach and Ease are rolled out. I hope to bump into as many of you as possible in the future at conferences and other industry-facing events, and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy 2014.”
Christian said: “I’d like to say a big thanks to Andy for helping seed Machine Translation in Lingo24. Andy has helped us tremendously to build our knowledge from virtually zero to well above to well above industry average, and brought with him two very talented MT specialists in Sergio and Rej.
“Although he’ll be very much missed, I’d like to re-assure everyone that we are committed to having an in-house MT capability, and will be looking to strengthen the MT team in the New Year. We’ll also stay in touch with Andy and hope to work with him through DCU in the future.”